”Life is like a book, they say. But life is not a book. Life is written on thousands of loose sheets. You can tell a story, yes, and say this story is the truth. But it’s a matter of choice, really. Of deciding which papers in which order. Our story is one of these.”
The spectacle follows a life of a certain woman FROM the moment she was born in 1973 to her birthday in 2013. These four decades reflect the time of doubts, hopes, struggle, choices and unpredictable events, guided by heroic virtues – lust for life and will to survive. In this trip through chaotic Europe the main protagonist succeeds to find a compromise between own ambitions and circumstances that are forced upon her. Many layers of the performance portays not only individual strivings of one person but also becomes a synonym of a journey of a country and a Dance Theatre. Poland went through some radical changes within last forty years, what are the future prospect? 40th anniversary of Polish Dance Theatre rises the same question. As a piece of artwork, the performance does not delve into facts and figures. A fictive viewpoint, and even the view of an outsider, may just as well provide the necessary distance to communicate on an associative level. The truth is never the truth anyway, it’s all a matter of which details you emphasize, ignore or exaggerate.
Performance is being created as a part of project titled “Signs of time - to overcome borders. Artistic and educational activities in Poland, Norway and Iceland” within a framework of "Promotion Of Diversity In Culture And Arts Within European Cultural Heritage" programme (EEA 2009-2014 Financial Mechanism).
Supported by a grant from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- Direction, choreography, stage design and lyrics: Jo Strømgren
- Lighting director: Hans J. Skogen
- Costumes: Bregje van Balen
- Assistant: Adriana Cygankiewicz
- Music: Jo Strømgren, Viljo Vesterinen, George Brassens, Fryderyk Chopin, Giacomo Puccini, Francisco Tarrega, Serge Gainsbourg, Giovanni Battista Pergolesi, Antonio Vivaldi, Norbert Gabla, Ronan Hardiman, Ich Troje, Astor Piazzolla, Alfredo Catalani, Eleni Karaindrou, Lars Årdal
- Musical arrangement: Krzysztof "Wiki" Nowikow
- Rehearsal manager: Anna Gruszka
- Premiere cast: Andrzej Adamczak, Karina Adamczak–Kasprzak, Urszula Bernat-Jałocha, Artur Bieńkowski, Niels Claes, Adriana Cygankiewicz, Agnieszka Fertała, Paulina Jaksim, Zbigniew Kocięba, Katarzyna Kulmińska, Kornelia Lech, Karol Miękina/Guillermo Millan Merida, Jacek Niepsujewicz/Paweł Malicki, Daniel Navarro Lorenzo, Josefine Patzelt, Tomasz Pomersbach, Luca Scarpa/Marcin Motyl, Daniel Stryjecki, Paulina Wycichowska
- World Premiere: 15th and 16th of June 2013 in Poznan at "Zamek" Culture Centre