The first and last scene of the short film "Bória" is filled by the painting of Zofia Stryjeńska entitled "Seasons. November - December (Pageant I - with a deer), growing out of the inspiration with the Polish and Hutsul folk culture. The dynamics of the bursting canvas, which is the quintessence of the decorative style in the painting of the Polish interwar period, prompts you to launch the action, wake up the flat composition, and introduce live movement. The director of the film, Iwona Pasińska, treated a painter’s approach, namely the procession of the characters glittering with all colours, as an impulse to compose the choreography and build subsequent scenes that make up the metaphor of life in the community, moving on the line of life, experiencing good and evil, happiness and pain, unchanging rhythm of the nature and change of fate. Two worlds – the one of the individual and the one of the community – are separated by an invisible border. Because the community under a fabulously colourful and ludic mask of customs, traditions and ritual hides a different face. It throws outside the margin, "bites" and rejects.
The visual layer of the 9-minute film is co-created with ornamental motifs drawn from Stryjeńska's painting. Fragmentary narration is built of the words of traditional songs in the arrangement and performance of the Malisz Band, which overlap with the language of contemporary dance. Interspecific combination of the dance film and painting makes the second-ever film production of the Polish Dance Theatre an interdisciplinary experiment from the borderland of arts.
Based on Zofia Stryjeńska's picture „Seasons. November-December” (Pageant I - with deer)
- RIFF: R.E.D. INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL, 2018 Eina, Norway – 2nd Award
Official selections and screenings:
- Muestra Movimiento Audiovisual, 2019 Guadalajara, Mexico – Official Selection
- 6th International Meeting on Video-dance and Video-performance, 2019 Valencia, Spain – Official Selection
- International Fine Arts Film Festival, 2019 Santa Barbara, USA – Official Selection
- Raksa Dance Film Festival/ Raksa Ciné-Danse du Monde 2019 Paris, France – Official Selection
- Master of Art Film Festival, Sofia, Bulgaria - official selection
- Los Angeles Film Festival - presentation on the 8th of February 2020
scenario & direction:
„Ballada o sierotce” [A Ballad about the Orphan] - folk song
arranged and performed by „Malisz Mand” composed of Zuzanna Malisz, Jan Malisz, Kacper Malisz
„Huculska fantazja” [Hutsul Fantasy]
composed and performed: Jan Malisz
Ostrzyciele - Reclip Sp. z o. o.
Stern Pictures s.c. light&grip
color correction & post-production:
mastering the soundtrack:
Michał Garstecki Free Flay Music
artists-dancers of Polish Dance Theatre:
Polski Teatr Tańca 2018